In 2016, the nonprofit GreenWave harvested 8 tons of kelp from its network of restorative ocean farms. The top chefs in the world started serving it. The media got excited.
In April 2017, GreenWave is expecting to harvest 100 tons of kelp.
On a mission to support GreenWave’s ocean farmers, we are launching a new brand of healthy and affordable kelp-based products to market.
To achieve this, we have built a team of chefs + food scientists to create the world’s best consumer products made from sustainably farmed, made in the USA, kelp.
All of our products are vegan or vegetarian, non-GMO, and free of allergens like dairy, eggs, peanut, soy, and gluten.
what is kelp?
- Kelp is a large variety of seaweeds belonging to the brown algae family.
- Kelp contains more vitamin C than orange juice, more calcium than milk, and more protein that soybeans.
- Kelp contains 70 vitamins, enzymes, minerals, Omega 3s, and antioxidants including: B1, B12, B2 calcium, iron, potassium, and magnesium.
- Eating kelp cuts our rate of fat absorption by 75% because of its content of soluble fiber.
Kelp is high in iodine, which increases energy, improves cognitive function and hair growth, and optimizes the thyroid and metabolic functions.
- Kelp is vegan, gluten-, and soy free, and low in calories.
did you know?
There are 10,000 edible species of seaweeds in the world.
GreenWave’s 3D ocean farms filter millions of gallons of ocean water every day, create habitats for hundreds of wild marine species, and sequester the excess carbon and nitrogen that threaten our oceans with acidification and dead-zones, respectively. In fact, seaweed absorbs 5x more carbon than land based plants.
And perhaps most powerful, is the idea that it would take just one kelp farm the size of Washington state to feed the entire planet every day.
at the helm
Courtney Boyd Myers
Curator at Summit Series
Advisor to GreenWave
Co-founder and former Co-CEO of Runa